Meditation and mindfulness are great ways to fill your own cup.
To stop, ground, recenter and reconnect with yourself, your intuition.
When you think of meditation/mindfulness you probably picture someone sitting cross-legged on the floor, eyes closed, hands on their knees, looking very relaxed and peaceful.
Meditation doesn’t have to be this formal, did you know it can be as simple as making a cup of tea?
And you don’t even have to leave your own home!
It’s something most of us do everyday, but once we bring our breath and our senses to this simple everyday task, it can become a beautiful ritual, that will bring you peace, calm and, some days some much-needed space and quiet.
Allowing you to stop and reconnect with your inner self.
- As you wait for your kettle to boil, feel your feet on the earth, wriggle toes, really ground down through your feet.
- Take 3 full breaths – long slow inhale, long slow exhale. Feel your muscles gently relax, shoulders soften and calm begin to settle over your body and mind. Coming into the senses, aware of what is happening around you – bubbling water, maybe steam rising from the kettle?
- As you pour your tea – noticing the sound as water trickles into the cup, aware of the water as the colour begins to change and develop. Maybe you can feel the warmth of the steam touching your skin, and the beautiful aromas that may be rising out of your cup
- Coming into your body as you sit or stand and prepare to drink your tea. Take another mindful breath in and out – notice the warmth of the cup as you hold it in your hands, slowly taking a sip – noticing all the flavours, again the smells, the warmth as the tea reaches your lips and mouth and moves down your throat.
- Taking your time to really savour your cup of tea, this moment of quiet and stillness.
Once you have finished your tea, take a moment to offer thanks and gratitude for the time you took to breathe and slow down, to enjoy your tea and to fill your own cup.
Today’s post comes from Kerri Pietsch – Yoga, Reiki & Massage in Pottsville ([email protected] / 0422989005), and is the 2nd in our Self Care series.
#1: Brighten Up Your Life – The Benefits of Flowers on Your Mood
#2: Fill Your Own Cup
#3: Eat Clean & Feel Amazing (The Clean Tea Guide to Clean Eating)
#4: Take Time Out With a Cup of Tea
#5: Disconnect to Reconnect – Taking a Technology Detox